Sunday, January 20, 2008

Reflections on Learning...

My philosophy of learning is woven into my philosophy of teaching. Using this loom metaphor, there would be a double warp: the teaching philosophy warp would have 3- or 4- ply fibers of theory and application experience and the learning philosophy warp would be a synthetic (”synthesis”) fiber in which attitude and motivation were bonded. In formulating a philosophy of learning, I would have to first evaluate myself as a learner. Learning is a life-long endeavor for me, and it is this personal curiosity and enthusiasm that I bring into my teaching. My students are a learning resource for me, and therefore at the heart of my motivation. Attitude is everything, and I believe that attitude and disposition in my learning and teaching style affect the people with whom I interact with everyday. I believe that every child can learn, but not unlike any woven work of art, aspects of ability are intertwined with attitude and motivation creating a métissage (”tisser” = to weave) of attributes that cannot be disengaged without destroying the overall fabric. It is the child who spins the fiber from his or her experiences, daily life, culture, and constructed knowledge, loads the shuttle and performs the arduous task of weaving. It is my role (as an educator) to supply my learners the opportunities to collect meaningful artifacts with which to enhance and individualize their weaving, and then to model various strategies for incorporating their embellishments into what they have woven thus far. The task of learning can be exhilarating at times (as one steps back in awe at the color and texture that he/she has created) and daunting at other times (as the tedious up-and-down work goes back and forth), but with guidance and feedback the skill of weaving steadily becomes a craft. The weaver’s own personal learning style evident in the grasp of the shuttle and the rhythm of his or her hands. Learning, like a fine craft, takes on the personality of the artist as it inherently forms the artist’s own personal style and voice.